Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Enjoy Yourself -- But Don't Overdo It!

Hi There!

Hope your week's begun well.  Mine been a little busy -- been at customer sites.  Today's gig cancelled at the last minute, so I'm able to finally get to this week's reading.

Is it hot where you are?  It is blazing hot here in Houston -- temp's at or over 100 degrees most days.  Hoping for a little relief this weekend (who would think we'd consider 95 degrees as "cooling"!), but I'm sure our summer swelter will quickly return.

On the plus side, football season's started!  That means cooler days in late September are in sight!

We went to Baton Rouge this weekend -- had to deliver the last bit of my niece's stuff to her folk's house, plus we thought we'd go visit LSU's Mike the Tiger prior to the first game.  On the way there, we decided that Mike's demeanor would give us a clue about the upcoming season.

Well, I'm hoping that's not the case.  Evidently, the heat got to Mike as well.  He was sacked out on his back in a very undignified position.  We hopefully decided he was mooning Nick Saban.

BTW, Mikedoesn't live in your typical animal cage.  His habitat includes a jungle setting with shady bushes, trees to climb (and eat!), a large pond to swim in, rocks to climb, and tons of toys.  He also gets plenty of visitors!

I used to work at LSU way back; I remember one year some Tulane students opened up Mike's cage one night as a prank.  I wonder what they thought when they realized they had just loosed a 500 pound Bengal tiger!  The student's weren't hurt, but Mike did eat several pine trees before he was recovered.

Let's move on to our reading this week -- the first card starts us off, the second card offers things to help enhance the first card.

Our first card is the Six of Wands.
Looks like a pretty happy fellow, doesn't it?  I always see this card as a victory parade.  You've succeeded or done well in some endeavor ... and are now taking some time to feel good about it!  Not only are you celebrating, others acknowledge your success.  It's nice to be able to say "I did good" -- but it always feels better when someone recognizes your efforts and says "You did good!"

The first part of the message of this card is "You've earned it -- so enjoy it!"  Being humble is nice -- you don't want to annoy people with your crowing -- but you need to enjoy that sense of accomplishment.  It's a nice reward for your efforts.

The second part of the message is just as important -- "Yeah, but don't get a swelled head, because the game starts over again tomorrow!"  True -- success today doesn't mean we can coast and expect to be successful tomorrow.  But -- we can feel good about it today!

Let's look at our second card and see what it has to offer -- the King of Swords.
I've said before that I always see my dad in this card -- and he's glaring at me because I've just done something stupid!  He's saying "You knew better -- why did you do that?" ... and I'm saying "I know I knew better -- I don't know why I did it!"

This King always knows the answers -- he always the right -- and smart -- thing to do.  He also knows that you know the right -- and smart -- thing to do as well.  He's disappointed when you don't follow what you know is the right path ... and I'm sure you and I are disappointed in ourselves when we don't choose the right path.

This King fits in well with the second part of the Six of Wand's message -- "Don't get a swelled head!"  If we're successful -- and then decide to coast on that success, we're bound to eventually fail.  The King of Swords can then rightly ask "Why did you do such a stupid thing?"

This King reminds us to keep our heads together -- don't let events distract us from doing what we know is the right thing.  There are times to enjoy our efforts -- and then there are times when we need to get back to work on the next endeavor.

I didn't intend this when I mentioned football season -- but if you're following the Johnny Manziel story, you'll probably see how these two cards apply to his situation.  He had unbelievable success as a freshman at Texas A&M (only student ever to win the Heisman Trophy as a freshman), but has since proceeded to party his way into distraction and trouble.  At some point, he may look back and say "Why did I do such stupid things?"

That's it for now -- and "Go Tigers"!  (and I hope your teams do well, too!)

Woodsong


1 comment:

voyance gratuite par email said...

Thanks , I’ve recently been searching for info about this subject for ages and yours is the greatest I have discovered till now. But, what about the bottom line? Are you sure about the source?